Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,22 Oct 2014
FYUP row: Delhi University hopefuls, students anxious about future
Soumya Pillai, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, June 23, 2014
First Published: 09:05 IST(23/6/2014)
Last Updated: 16:06 IST(23/6/2014)

Amidst jubilation as well as disappointment on the government’s decision to roll back the controversial Four Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP), over two lakh Delhi University aspirants have nowhere to go.

Unsure of their fates, prospective students fear that with barely few days left for the university’s first cut-off list, this order may not bring good news for them.

“I am not sure if we would be admitted for the three-year course or the four-year course. There is no information on what would finally be the course structure. Boasting of their successful ‘open days’, the university has again left us with no clarity,” said Payal Dhawan, a DU aspirant.

Read: St Stephen’s postpones admissions until DU's decision on FYUP

Read: Where are the people who passed FYUP in the first place?

The first cut-off list is due to be announced on June 24 and like every year, North Campus’ St Stephens’ College has already released its cut-off commencing the admission procedure, although on Sunday, the college announced that it will defer final admissions till a decision was reached on the issue.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/popup/2014/6/22_06_14-metro1b.gif

“When the university had already gone ahead with the four-year programme despite red flags from the teachers, steps should have been taken to improve the existing course. An established university cannot play with the careers of thousands of students,” said Mala Aggarwal, mother of a 17-year-old DU applicant.

Not only have DU applicants and their parents been left confused by this sudden order from University Grants Commission (UGC), the students who have already studied a year under the new programme are now worried about whether the university will restructure their course to ensure its completion in three years or would they carry on with the four-year programme.

“What will happen to students who have already spent a year studying the four-year programme? I don’t think the university has any plans about fitting a four-year syllabus into three years and this worries me,” said Puneeta Vermani, a student of English (Hons) from DCAC.

Students and parents are now expecting a speedy announcement from the university to clarify their future course of action preferably before the first cut-off list is declared.

Read: UGC orders 4-year undergraduate course out, DU defiant

HT Edit: Liberal marking system has made life tougher for college aspirants

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/popup/2014/6/23_06_14-metro1b.gif


comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
edu-news

UGC to outsource NET exam to CBSE

UGC
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has decided to outsource the National Eligibility Test (NET)  for lecturers to CBSE.
HTEducation Alerts

King George’s Medical University, Lucknow

Eligibility: Graduation degree with 60% marks. For medical/dental candidates should have MD/MS/MDS degree with at least 60% marks in MBBS/BDS aggregate

The Great Britain Scholarships

The UK has announced the Great Britain Scholarships – India 2015 and GREAT Scholarships Guide as part of the ‘Great Britain’ campaign. Launched in February 2012, GREAT is a strategic international marketing programme designed to promote the UK to business, tourism and student markets worldwide in order to enhance the country’s global reputation.
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved