ICC Champions Trophy: BCCI raises concerns after Manchester terror attack | icc-champions-trophy-2017 | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 25, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

ICC Champions Trophy: BCCI raises concerns after Manchester terror attack

Acting president of the BCCI, CK Khanna, confirmed that the board’s security incharge Neeraj Kumar has left for England on Tuesday to monitor the security measures in place for the Indian cricket team during the ICC Champions Trophy 2017.

icc champions trophy 2017 Updated: May 25, 2017 17:16 IST
A minute's silence is observed at a gathering in St Ann's Square, in central Manchester, on Thursday, as a mark of respect to the victims of the May 22 terror attack at the Manchester Arena. Britain has raised its terror alert to the maximum level and ordered troops to protect strategic sites after 22 people were killed in a suicide bomb attack on a Manchester pop concert. The ICC Champions Trophy cricket tournament will be held in the country from June 1 to 18, and teams are trying to ensure that the security at the venues are water tight.
A minute's silence is observed at a gathering in St Ann's Square, in central Manchester, on Thursday, as a mark of respect to the victims of the May 22 terror attack at the Manchester Arena. Britain has raised its terror alert to the maximum level and ordered troops to protect strategic sites after 22 people were killed in a suicide bomb attack on a Manchester pop concert. The ICC Champions Trophy cricket tournament will be held in the country from June 1 to 18, and teams are trying to ensure that the security at the venues are water tight.(AFP)

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has sent a security officer to England amid concerns over team safety in the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 following the Manchester bomb attack.

Acting president of the Indian cricket board, CK Khanna, confirmed that Neeraj Kumar, security incharge and consultant of its anti-corruption unit, left for England on Tuesday.

“Neeraj Kumarji was anyhow supposed to travel with the team but had to go early after the attack,” a senior BCCI official said.

“He will definitely go to the venues where India is scheduled to play and assess the security,” the official added.

Kumar, a former Delhi Police Commissioner, was the head of security when the ICC World T20 Championship was hosted by India last year.

A suicide bomb attack rocked Manchester on Monday, killing 22 people at the end of a concert by US pop star Ariana Grande at Manchester Arena.

All teams are now wary ahead of the 50-over tournament that begins June 1. Holders India start their campaign against arch-rivals Pakistan in Birmingham on June 4.

The BCCI are in touch with the International Cricket Council regarding security in England as Virat Kohli and his side leave for the eight-team event late Wednesday.

“We sent out a message (to ICC) raising our concerns about security of the Indian team’s travel, accommodation and the playing (area),” BCCI acting secretary Amitabh Chaudhary told reporters.

Chaudhary said the ICC “responded to it within two hours. They have been sensitised about our concern”.

The ICC released a statement Tuesday regarding security measures taken with the England and Wales Cricket Board.

“The security situation has been very much front and centre of our preparations and we constantly review our procedures to guarantee they are as effective as possible to keep everyone safe,” said an ICC statement.