Clashes between multi-faith Bodos and migrant Muslims in western Assam's Bodoland Territorial Council claimed another life on Sunday, taking the toll to 88 since violence broke out on July 20.
Five others including a minor were injured in another attack, even as the anti-talks faction of Ulfa issued an appeal that carried a warning and Assam braced for a bandh on Monday called by the Vishva Hindu Parishad and Bajrang Dal.
Dhubri superintendent of police PC Saloi said the bruised body of a 65-year-old man was found in Suknajhora village. He had ventured into adjoining Kokrajhar to graze his cattle.
The other attack occurred near Salakati railway station in Kokrajhar district. Unidentified persons attacked four women and a minor. "The five, attacked around 4am, were admitted to the civil hospital in Bongaigaon (210km west of Guwahati)," inspector general of police (law and order) LR Bishnoi said.
Violence had erupted on Saturday after a brief lull with seven persons being hacked to death. The victims as well as those attacked at Salakati were relief camp inmates returning home.
According to a government spokesperson, nearly 2.25 lakh people remain in 219 relief camps across Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts and beyond. There were more than 360 camps housing 4.5 lakh people during the peak of violence earlier this month.
Meanwhile, Ulfa military chief Paresh Baruah called for an end to targeting of Assam youngsters in other states. He claimed 14 Assam youth had been killed "in India's mainland states". "If attacks on Assam youth continues in other states, we will carry out attacks on people of those states living in Assam," Baruah warned in an email statement.