Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,22 Sep 2014

100 more village heads quit in J&K

PTI  Srinagar, September 26, 2012
First Published: 17:09 IST(26/9/2012) | Last Updated: 17:10 IST(26/9/2012)

Despite assurances by the Jammu and Kashmir government, over 100 more terror-stricken panches and sarpanches announced their resignations through paid advertisements in the Valley.

Advertisement

The panches and sarpanches, mostly hailing from north Kashmir's Baramulla district, announced their resignations through paid advertisements in local dailies.

Almost all those who have announced their resignations claimed that they are resigning due to personal reasons.

"I...am resigning from the post of panch/sarpanch on personal grounds. From today, I will have no connection with any political party or Panchayati system. This is for the information of all," the advertisements published in several Urdu dailies read.

Authorities on Tuesday confirmed receipt of almost 40 resignations of panches and sarpanches in Baramulla district alone after the killing of their colleague on Sunday but preferred silence about the total number of grass root level representatives quitting the job so far. 53 panches had yesterday announced their resignations through local dailies.

"We do not have the exact figures right now but we are collecting the number of resignations tendered by panches and sarpanches since Sunday," an official of the Rural Development and Panchayati Raj department told PTI.

As per the paid advertisements in the local dailies, nearly 200 panches and sarpanches have announced their resignations fearing for their lives during the past two days.

Admitting that the resignations have been triggered by the killing of the grass root level representatives, the official said resignations announced before media or in Mosques will not be considered and panches will have to follow the due procedure if they want to resign.
 


Advertisement
more from India

Sohrabuddin Shaikh encounter case: Yet another exemption for Amit Shah

A special Central Bureau of Investigation court on Monday, once again exempted Bharatiya Janata Party president Amit Shah from appearance in the alleged fake encounter case of Sohrabuddin Shaikh.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved