100 students fall sick in Sirsa after consuming iron tablets

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Sirsa
  • |
  • Updated: Jul 23, 2013 19:48 IST

Nearly 100 students of government schools were admitted to hospitals with mild symptoms of side effects after they consumed iron and folic acid supplements here on Tuesday.

The students experienced the symptoms 24 hours after they were first administered the medicines on Monday and were taken to Primary Health Centre at Goriwala village here from there most of the students were referred to Dabwali Hospital here.

According to information, the health department launched its 'Weekly Iron and Folic Acid Supplementation Programme' on Monday in all government schools of the district.

Under the scheme, the iron tablets were given to 202 students of Government School at Bijjuwali village and 70 students of Government School at Ratta Khera village here on Monday. The students complained of pain in abdomen and started vomiting after they arrived at school on Tuesday.

Omparkash, teacher of Bijjuwali government school said: "The tablets were given to the students after lunch in school on Monday. We don't understand how they did fall sick."

Rajaram, father of Ranbeer, a student, said: "I am not satisfied with the treatment of the health center at Goriwala and shifted my child to a private hospital."

"The students have been discharged and their condition is stated to be out of danger," Dr Surinder Nain, civil surgeon, said.

Dr Nain said, the body gradually adjusts itself to the intake of the iron and folic acid supplementation after the first administration and can be safely repeated in subsequent doses. All necessary systemic preparations for managing such events have been put in place, the doctor added.


also read

Patels feed Gujarat but why the community doesn't feel empowered

blog comments powered by Disqus