Panic gripped Neyveli Lignite Corporation Girls’ School in Neyveli, 150 km south of Chennai, when students complained of headache and nausea soon after their midday meal consisting of eggs on Thursday.
Around 143 students of classes 6 and 7 of the government school were rushed to the local hospital soon after.
Soon after the girls vomited, and some of them fainted, distribution of food was stopped, officials said. Unlike the Bihar case, there were no casualties and most of the students were discharged after they were given tablets.
Only 13 girls were admitted and administered drips. They are still under observation.
“There is absolutely no danger as they are all stable,” said Dr Janardhan who is attending to the students.
Neyveli Lignite Corporation general hospital sources said they suspected “food infection.” Collector Kirlosh Kumar said samples of the meal had been collected and sent for examination.
“No arrests have been made, but the probe is on,” he added.
In a related incident, about 50 students of a government middle school in Madhubani district fell ill after eating food under the mid-day meal scheme.
(with PTI inputs)