Close on the heels of the Saran tragedy, at least 15 students were taken ill in yet another case of food poisoning after consuming midday meal in Madhubani district of north Bihar.
The incident took place Wednesday at a newly constructed middle school situated at Noorchak-Navtoli village under Bisfi block, about 25 km west of district headquarters town of Madhubani on Wednesday.
Seven of the affected kids, who appeared serious, were rushed to higher medical centres while the administration rushed doctors to the school.
Students said, the tail of a lizard was found in the food served by a notified organisation.
The students had consumed their food at lunch time as usual but soon started vomiting and complaining of severe stomach pain. They were taken to the nearest primary health hospital.
On getting information, Madhubani DM Lokesh Kumar Singh, SP Ranjit Kumar Mishra and midday meal in-charge, Santosh Kumar rushed to the spot and inquired about the matter.
The DM and SP claimed, that out of 142 students only two had complained of vomiting and serious stomach pain. However, seven students were rushed for medical treatment to the local primary health centre (PHC).
All teachers escaped from the school, fearing trouble.
Singh said, preliminary investigation suggested that the students were served rice and vegetables and soon after the meals one of them claimed that the tail of lizard was found in his rice.
Subsequently all of the students threw their food plates. Two other students complained of stomach ache and fell ill.
Mishra said, he met the students in hospital and enquired about their health. He directed the concerned SHO to seize the cooked food and utensils and collect samples from the spot and investigate the incident.
Villagers also complained, that the headmaster (in-charge) Mohammad Shahid Akhtar always remained absent from the school and there was no monitoring of the cooked food.
On the other hand, medical officer in-charge of the local PHC, A K Prabhat, said, "All the students are out of danger". Except for seven children, the rest have been discharged from the health centre, he said, adding, the seven students, five of them girls, were being administered saline water.