Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,18 Apr 2014

18 years too long to recall abusers: sex racket victim

HT Correspondent , Hindustan Times  Thiruvananthapuram, September 03, 2013
First Published: 01:24 IST(3/9/2013) | Last Updated: 02:33 IST(3/9/2013)

A minor who had been coerced into a sex racket 18 years ago and now wants to put all that behind told a trial court on Monday she was unable to identify her tormentors because of the lapse of so many years.

Advertisement

Now a mother, the sex-scandal victim of Vithura (a small town near Thiruvananthapuram) told the special court in Kottayam, central Kerala, that though sexual attacks on her did take place at the time, she could neither recall the faces of the accused nor the location of the crime.

In search of a job, the victim, who was then 16, had approached a woman who pushed her into the racket. She was rescued after several months and the police had registered 22 cases in which 35 persons are facing trial under various charges.

The trial was delayed after some of the accused approached court, citing various reasons.

Initially the government had offered protection, but now she has the support of some women’s organisations only.

In her petitions she had said long court proceedings would harm her domestic life and attendance at court was another form of punishment.

Citing health reasons, she failed to appear before the court on the last three occasions, which invited reactions from the judge.

Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved