2 dead as poisonous gas leaks in West Bengal

  • PTI, Burdwan, West Bengal
  • |
  • Updated: Aug 27, 2014 02:47 IST

Two women were killed and 50 others affected, 12 of them seriously, when gas leaked from a cylinder in a welding workshop in West Bengal's Burdwan district on Tuesday.

The incident happened in Asansol under Gopalpur police station when ammonium sulphate gas leaked from the cylinder, Asansol-Durgapur police commissioner Vineet Goel said.

The deceased were identified as Satya Bala Das (80) and Ujjala Das (78).

Among those affected by the gas leak is a child.

The poisonous gas spread to an area stretching to more than two kms, Goel said.

The district administration has ordered a probe into the incident.

 

also read

Onus lies on Kathmandu to ease crisis

blog comments powered by Disqus