Six labourers were killed following leakage of poisonous gas from an old well that they were cleaning near Kondhali, a satellite town, some 50 kms from Nagpur on Tuesday morning.
According to reports, the labourers, who were engaged by one Ravi Jaiswal to clean his well at his farm in Kacheri Sawangi village, 10 kms from Kondhali, were asphyxiated by the poisonous gas while digging and cleaning the well this morning.
Initially, two persons entered the well and fell coconscious. They were followed by more persons and in the process all six labourers lost their lives.
The frightened labourers shouted for help, but the gas was so poisonous that the laboruers could not even manage to get out of the well and died in the well.
However, one labourer was rescued by the local people, reports said.
The owner of the well, Jaiswal, a local panchayat samiti member immediately informed the Kondhali police about the matter. The bodies were fished out and sent for post mortem.
The victims were identified as: Bhushan Manmode, Sunil Ahate, Pramod Sonule, Jeevan Marbate, Chirkut Bawne and Harishchandra Bawne. All the labourers were from Kondhali.