Anaesthesia overdose kills minor during eye surgery

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Indore
  • |
  • Updated: Apr 10, 2013 00:36 IST

A five-year-old girl died after she was allegedly administered an overdose of anaesthesia before a minor eye surgery at a hospital here on Tuesday morning.

As the news spread, people came out on the streets and demanded that a case be registered against the hospital administration and the doctors.

"They administered an overdose of anesthesia and she never regained consciousness," said the girl's uncle Sachin Ranganathan.

The girl, who was admitted to the hospital for a cornea replacement, was wheeled into the operation theater around 9am.

She reportedly died within 15 minutes of being administered anaesthesia.

One of the hospital administrators, Aditya Vyas told HT that the girl had died of cardiac arrest. "She had been to hospital on three earlier occasions for keratoplasty surgery but the operation could not be performed as a fitness certificate was needed," said Vyas.

Police said an investigation will be initiated once the postmortem report is ready.

 

also read

UP: Boy scalded for asking wages to send Rakhi gift to sister

blog comments powered by Disqus