Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,18 Apr 2014

Anna Hazare’s convoy attacked in Nagpur

HT Correspondent , Hindustan Times  Nagpur, May 16, 2012
First Published: 21:00 IST(16/5/2012) | Last Updated: 23:12 IST(16/5/2012)

Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare and his team came under attack for a second time in Nagpur on Wednesday as unknown miscreants pelted stones at one of the cars in his convoy.

Advertisement


Hazare was heading for Nagpur’s Chitins Park to address a rally on Wednesday as part of his ongoing Maharashtra tour.

But if the attackers were targeting Hazare, they missed their mark. The Gandhian was not in the car, which was was full of booklets and pamphlets.

But then, if Hazare aides are to be believed, it was precisely these items the assailants were objecting to.

The aides have alleged that the members of the Nagpur Youth Congress “who were behind the attack” had taken exception to the pamphlets and booklets which allegedly showed Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi in a bad light.

The assailants fled soon after the incident. “No one has been arrested so far,” said Ankush Dhanvijay, commissioner of police, Nagpur.

In November last year, some Congress workers tried to disrupt an address of Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal.

Later, addressing media persons, Hazare, who has been accused by some Congress leaders of acting at the behest of the right wing RSS, said he had never sought the group’s support.

“Credible people and the common man led the movement. It was the people’s anguish and frustration with a corrupt system that evoked a massive response in the campaign," Hazare said.

Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved