Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,18 Dec 2014

Apologise or prove state govt was bribed: Goa CM to Sunburn hosts

PTI  Panaji, September 17, 2013
First Published: 11:16 IST(17/9/2013) | Last Updated: 11:36 IST(17/9/2013)

Goa chief minister Manohar Parrikar has sought an apology from the organisers of Sunburn music festival over their reported allegations that they had to shell out money to seek permission for hosting the event in the beach state in 2012.


Advertisement

"I have seen the email by the organiser. They had levelled allegations last year (that they had to pay money to get the permission)," Parrikar told reporters on Monday at Candolim village, where the festival is being held since 2007.

"Either they substantiate their allegations with the proof or they should say sorry for that," he said.

Sunburn, an electronic dance music (EDM) festival, is being held in Goa since 2007.

Goa Vikas Party legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco, during a press conference last week, had claimed that he received a text message from the Sunburn organisers (Percept Private Limited) who claimed that bribes were given in 2012 to obtain the permission to hold the event in Goa.

Michael Lobo, a legislator representing Calangute constituency in which Candolim village is situated, told reporters on Monday that the organisers should apologise over their claim that the government was bribed.

"They should apologise and take back their words," he said.

Officials of Percept Private Limited, including its joint managing director Shailendra Singh, could not be contacted for comments on the issue.

Sunburn festival is scheduled to be held in Goa on December 27 to 29.

While the festival has been traditionally held at Candolim, this time the government has asked the organisers to scout for another venue to hold the event.

State tourism minister Dilip Parulekar said the event would not be allowed at Candolim because of infrastructural constraints in handling such a big crowd.


Advertisement
more from India

Peshawar massacre: Mumbai students reach out to victims’ kin via social media

A pall of gloom descended over Mumbai schools on Wednesday. Grieving for their counterparts across the border, students are trying to reach out to the families of the victims by sending condolence messages and handmade cards.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved