The army on Thursday denied its involvement in the abduction and murder of tribal youths in western Assam's Baksa district on December 21.
It stated there was enough evidence to negate allegations that the army was carrying out 'secret killings' at the behest of Assam governor JB Patnaik.
"Raj Kumar Rabha, one of the abducted youths who had been found with multiple injuries has said he had been blindfolded during the abduction and despite that he could see from the corner of an eye, but none of his abductors were in battle fatigues. Besides, his abductors were speaking in local languages while the army unit deployed in that area is from Uttarakhand not conversant with local dialects," a defence spokesman said.
Rabha, along with Kundan Basumatary and Rajib Basumatary, went missing from the Narayanpur area of Baksa district. Rajib was found dead two days after their alleged abduction on December 21.
Rajib's brother subsequently lodged an FIR at the Tamulpur police station accusing the army's 2 Kumaon Regiment of abducting the trio.