Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,29 Aug 2014

Assam shame: 2 more held, hunt on for key accused

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Guwahati, July 15, 2012
First Published: 13:02 IST(15/7/2012) | Last Updated: 01:04 IST(16/7/2012)

The journalist accused by RTI activist Akhil Gogoi of instigating a mob to molest a young woman on July 9 termed the charges baseless on Sunday even as the police arrested two more persons in the case.


Advertisement

Police also announced a reward of Rs. 1 lakh for anyone giving the whereabouts of the prime accused in the case, Amarjyoti Kalita, as the number of those arrested rose to six.

"There are allegations that I orchestrated the molestation of the girl. I strongly deny and refute the allegations as malicious and wild," said Gaurav Jyoti Neog and announced his resignation from NewsLive TV channel where he was a reporter.

"I want an impartial inquiry. I would like to come back and join the organisation again with my head held high."

Neog said he had carried out his duty as a journalist by asking for a camera unit from his office and filmed the "nightmarish incident to fulfil the social responsibility of identifying the molesters and getting them punished".http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2012/7/16-july-pg-09a.jpg

The channel's executive director, Nitumoni Saikia, said the organisation was convinced Neog was not involved in instigating the mob to molest the 20-year-old woman outside a pub in the heart of the city.

On Saturday, Gogoi had screened six video clippings of the molestation before the media and charged Neog with instigating the mob to target the woman.

Police sources said the problem started in a bar where the woman happened to be present.

Meanwwhile, Apurba Jiban Baruah, senior superintendent of police (Guwahati city), said sub-inspector Subhan Baruah of Dispur police station had been suspended.


Advertisement
more from India

Dwivedi says Congress leaders above 65 should stay away from active posts

In an indication that the old guard in the Congress is preparing for handing over the baton to GenNext, senior general secretary Janardan Dwivedi on Thursday suggested that leaders beyond 65 years of age should not hold important organisational posts.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved