Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday targeted his predecessor Manmohan Singh for describing demonetisation as “loot” and “plunder” even as he asserted in the Rajya Sabha that the fight against black money is not a political one or against any party. He also urged for a change in mindset to usher in a cleaner and more technologically advanced India. Here are the top 10 takeaways from his Rajya Sabha address.
1. Manmohan Singh knows the art of bathing wearing a raincoat.
PM Modi was hitting back at his predecessor who dubbed demonetisation as an “organised loot” in the Parliament.
2. After fake currency was neutralised post the November 8 demonetisation announcement, more than 700 Maoists surrendered in 40 days. If Maoists surrender, but someone is unhappy in this house, then it has a different meaning.
3. If you quote 10 newspapers, I can quote 20. If you quote 10 saints, then I can also quote 20. Such a big thing like demonetisation has never happened. Economists around the world don’t have parameters to understand the study this phenomenon of demonetisation. This can be a case study.
4. For the first time, there is a horizontal divide. People’s sentiments on one side and political sentiments on the other side. This is the first time that people and the government were on the same page although some people (Opposition leaders) were on the other side.
5. If radio frequency cards are used more in cars, they will not need to stop at toll booths. This will help us save petrol.
6. I can understand that the attack on me and my party will go on, but there is no reason to attack RBI and its governor.
7. RBI’s former governor Subba Rao had written in his book that then finance minister P Chidambaram overstepped his limit to form a liquidity management committee. Liquidity management is totally in the domain of RBI.
8. No government comes to sleep. I am the only Prime Minister who has acknowledged the contribution of previous governments from the ramparts of the Red Fort.
9. Some people are jumping over the issue that new notes have been found with terrorists. There was an effort to loot banks in Jammu and Kashmir. You can understand the connection between new notes and the terrorists.
10. Honest people will not be empowered if dishonest people are not punished.