Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,24 Nov 2014

Attack on Salem: Govt suspends four for lapses

HT Correspondent , Hindustan Times  Mumbai, June 29, 2013
First Published: 00:32 IST(29/6/2013) | Last Updated: 09:30 IST(29/6/2013)

The Maharashtra government on Friday ordered a probe into the jail attack on gangster Abu Salem in Navi Mumbai and suspended four prison employees for the lapse.

Advertisement

Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai bomb blast case and extradited, was shot at inside high-security Taloja jail on Thursday night.

“This incident shows a serious lapse (on the part of) jail officials and we have taken the matter seriously. I have ordered an inquiry to be conducted by additional director general of police (prison) Meeran Borwankar,” said home minister RR Patil on Friday.

Patil said the jail officials who were responsible for the lapse would be dismissed from service.

Home department officials said Borwankar had been asked to conduct the probe into how the weapon was procured and smuggled into the jail, and also how the security lapse occurred. The probe report will be submitted to Patil in two days.

Borwankar termed the incident a major security breach.

“Three constables and an officer whose negligence led to the incident have been suspended on the basis of a preliminary inquiry report,” she said, adding that an inquiry would be conducted by an inspector general to see if there was negligence on the part of anyone else.


Advertisement
more from India

Cong manifesto more 'Jammu specific'

The Congress manifesto, which was released on Sunday, is more specific on addressing aspirations and problems of the Jammu region. To give a sense of equal political empowerment with the Kashmir region, it proposed to set up regional council in Kashmir.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved