Curfew back in force in Kashmir, death toll mounts to 72 | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2018-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Curfew back in force in Kashmir, death toll mounts to 72

Authorities on Friday imposed curfew in most places of the Kashmir Valley to prevent protests and maintain law and order.

india Updated: Sep 02, 2016 13:05 IST
Abhishek Saha
Security forces patrol streets during protests in Srinagar.
Security forces patrol streets during protests in Srinagar. (AFP File Photo)

Authorities on Friday reimposed curfew in most places in volatile Kashmir to prevent protests after the weekly congregational prayers even as the body of a Class 5 student was found from the Jhelum river in Srinagar.

Police said Danish Haroo, a resident of Palpora in Srinagar’s Noorbagh area, jumped into the Jhelum to escape security forces during a stone-pelting incident on Thursday evening.

With Haroo’s death, the toll now stands at 72 making the boy the youngest person to die in the ongoing unrest that started after Burhan Wani, a young Hizbul Mujahideen militant, was shot dead by security forces on July 8.

“While trying to escape (from security personnel) four youths jumped into the river Jhelum passing through the area. Three youths managed to swim to shore but the forth, owing to his small age, drowned,” a police official, who did not wish to be named, said.

While police refused to confirm his exact age, one of Haroo’s neighbours said that he must have been 11 or 12 years old. “He was a Class 5 student and used to remain busy in his family’s shop in the area,” the neighbour said.

Police sources said that curfew was back in place in Srinagar and all other district headquarters and towns of the valley. Restrictions also remained in most parts of the region, they said.

It was lifted on Monday except in Pulwama district and some parts of the capital city and on Wednesday restrictions were removed from the entire valley.

In Srinagar, educational institutions, main markets and public transport remained suspended as barbed wires were put on most of the important routes to check traffic movement.

The state government also transferred 13 senior superintendents of police and superintendents of police in various districts of the valley.