Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,29 Aug 2014

Back from a nightmare, Menon unites with kin

HT Correspondents, Hindustan Times  Sukma/Chennai, May 04, 2012
First Published: 00:07 IST(4/5/2012) | Last Updated: 02:23 IST(4/5/2012)

It was the dawn after the long night. The family of abducted Sukma collector Alex Menon had been on tenterhooks for 12 days. And the flip-fops of his Maoist captors over the last few days had shattered nerves.

Advertisement

But on Thursday, as the news of his impending release came in, celebrations began in Chennai and Sukma. Sweets were distributed, crackers burst and the smell of Menon's favourite dishes wafted from the kitchens.

Menon's pregnant wife Asha, who bore the brunt of the tension in Sukma, almost collapsed under the last minute strain. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2012/5/04_05_12-metro10.jpg

The welcoming thali of aarti was ready and auspicious mango leaves decked the doorways, but Asha was too wound up to speak to anyone.

"Madam is not well, all of us are too worried," said one of the security guards at Menon's official residence.

"Maybe she will meet people after saheb comes back."

Later in the evening, Asha made a brief appearance before media, but rushed in within minutes when Menon called from the Chintalnar-based CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) camp where he would be spending the night.

"We were almost sure he would not be harmed by Maoists," said Pradip Dwivedi, a close friend who has been associated with various projects of Menon over the last four years.

"Now, the stalled development works will come back on track again," said Surendra Vaidya, sub-divisional magistrate of Sukma. 

In North Chennai's Kolattur, Menon's father, sisters and father-in-law gathered at a house in the late afternoon as television channels beamed the news of his imminent release.

As crackers burst outside and special prayers were held, Menon's father A Vardhas, a retired headmaster, distributed sweets to all.

"I will go to visit my son in a day or two," he beamed.

"I want my son to continue work in Sukma, but request the state and central government to give him adequate protection."


Advertisement
more from India

Dwivedi says Congress leaders above 65 should stay away from active posts

In an indication that the old guard in the Congress is preparing for handing over the baton to GenNext, senior general secretary Janardan Dwivedi on Thursday suggested that leaders beyond 65 years of age should not hold important organisational posts.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved