Ban orders ahead of today's bandh

  • PTI, Puducherry
  • |
  • Updated: Apr 26, 2011 07:47 IST

Prohibitory orders have been clamped for two days, starting on Tuesday, in Puducherry and Mahe regions in view of April 27 bandh called by opposition parties demanding recall of Lt governor Iqbal Singh.

Opposition AIADMK, All India NR Congress and Left parties, among others, have given the call for the bandh to protest against Iqbal Singh continuing in the office "despite several controversies including the one relating to South Education Trust" and recommending issuing passport expeditiously to suspected money launderer Hasan Ali Khan.

To protect law and order and prevent disturbances and to ensure that the model code of conduct for assembly polls still in force was adhered to, an order under section 144 had been clamped in Puducherry and Mahe regions, district magistrate G Ragesh Chandra said in a release on Monday.

He said the available information was that the bandh supporters would indulge in 'wrongful activities to compel shops, industrial establishments, government offices, educational institutions and other sectors to observe the shutdown'.

There was also possibility of rioting, criminal intimidation and damaging of public transport vehicles and other activities, he said.

 

also read

Congress furnishes new documents on Dholpur Palace ownership

blog comments powered by Disqus