Bareilly teen rape survivor admitted to hospital for delivery
A teenage rape survivor who was fighting for permission to abort her pregnancy was taken to the government hospital for delivery after she complained of labour pain on Wednesday night.india Updated: Oct 13, 2016 00:25 IST
A teenage rape survivor who was fighting for permission to abort her pregnancy was taken to the government hospital for delivery after she complained of labour pain on Wednesday night.
“The condition of the girl is stable and her pregnancy is normal, the delivery will occur by midnight or in the morning,” said Durga, the ANM nurse who examined the girl at the Community Health Centre Shergarh.
The girl was accompanied by her mother, aunt and the village midwife, while her father remained at home. “Usko is halat main nahi dekh sakta, mera dil ruk jayega (I can’t see her in this condition, my heart will stop),” said her dejected father.
The girl, who is only 14 years old according to her school-leaving certificate, was repeatedly raped by a man in her village on the pretext of marriage. He abandoned her when she conceived.
Since then the girl and her family have been running from pillar to post to terminate the pregnancy. They were first declined medical termination of pregnancy by two courts in Bareilly and finally by the Allahabad high court, which on August 22 ordered the CMO to review her case.
Another month passed in the hope of getting a court order and the next 15 days were wasted in the hospital, but after all this wait, the medical panel that examined her pregnancy declined permission stating “advance pregnancy”.
The girl’s father had hoped that the pregnancy would somehow be averted, but when the labour pains began on Wednesday, all his hopes were dashed.
“Main aaj har gaya, pata nahi age kya hoga (I am defeated today, don’t know what will happen next,” he said.
- July 26: Girl’s family moves petition before lower court for abortion
- August 4: They approach fast track court with the petition
- August 13: Court declines permission
- August 22: Teenager’s family moves application before HC for termination of pregnancy
- August 29: Court asks girl’s father to move application before chief medical officer (CMO)
- September 3: Victim’s counsel meets CMO, who allegedly declines to act
- September 5: Family approaches district magistrate
- September 12: Doctors that reviewed the pregnancy turn down request for medical termination