A five-year-old girl died, while four other family members took ill, after allegedly consuming expired snacks in south Kashmir's Kulgam area.
According to south Kashmir police, during the intervening night of December 11-12, the family members of Gulzar Ahmad Check, son of Abdul Rehman, a resident of Manzgam, and his wife Mehbooba (35), his son Suhail Raja (10), his nephew Shahzaib and niece Abiroo (5) consumed expired snacks that caused food poisoning.
"They were taken to local hospital for treatment, where from three children were referred to Children Hospital, Srinagar, for further treatment," said the police.
However, Abiroo, daughter of Nisar Ahmad, died on the way to hospital.
The Kulgam police have initiated inquest proceedings under section 174 CrPC in this regard.