Accusing five youths of gangraping her again, the victim on Monday said that she was beaten, drugged and threatened.
Narrating her account, she said, “I’m a student of BSc Maths at a Rohtak college. On Wednesday, I had gone to the college at 9am and was returning around 1:30pm. I was walking from my college towards Ambedkar Chowk when I saw Amit and Jagmohan standing in front of a car, blocking my way. I got scared. They pushed me inside their car where Mausam, Akash and Sandeep were sitting. “
She said that the accused choked her and started slapping her face. “They said they also searched for my brother but couldn’t find him. They force-fed me something, after which I lost consciousness. I don’t know where they took me. When I regained consciousness, I found that I was without my pants,” the victim said.
“I fainted again. I woke up when they choked me while throwing me out of the car. One of them suggested they should kill me but others dismissed the idea, saying it could land them in bigger trouble. I was thrown on the road and had no strength to get up,” she said.
The victim was then helped by some women passersby who took her to a hospital. “After regaining strength, I complained that action should be taken against the five for they have forcefully done wrong things with me,” she said.
Taking suo motu cognisance, the National Commission for Women (NCW) wrote to the state police chief, asking him to furnish details of action taken in the case. “We have given the local police time till tomorrow to send their reply,” NCW chairperson Lalitha Kumaramangalam said.
The woman was gang-raped by two of the some persons in Bhiwani three years ago.
Meanwhile, kin of the accused pleaded their innocence. While three of the accused joined the probe by Tuesday, family members of another also surfaced to prove evidence of their son’s innocence to the police.
The wife of accused Sandeep, who was arrested on Tuesday, said, “The girl demanded Rs 50 lakh from us for withdrawing the case and not the other way round. Our families lived in the same village and we have had some quarrels. But they took small fights to next level by accusing my husband for rape. They’re playing the Dalit card to gain sympathy.”
First Bhiwani, Now Rohtak
• In 2013, the victim, a student of Rohtak’s women college, was gang-raped by five men in Bhiwani. After the incident, the family shifted to Rohtak
• An FIR for kidnapping the woman was lodged by her relatives in Bhiwani in October 2013. In that case, police had challaned Amit and Jagmohan, who later got bail
• The two out on bail, along with three others — Sandeep, Mausam and Akash — allegedly raped her again in Rohtak on July 13
• Police found the woman in an inebriated state at Sukhpora Chowk. Victim told police that she was bundled into a car, drugged, and raped while unconscious
• On July 14, a case was registered at a women’s police station under various sections of IPC and SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act against the five men for kidnapping and gangrape on the basis of the woman’s statement
• Police also took the woman to PGIMS, Rohtak, recorded her statement and got her medically examined
• On Tuesday, police arrested Amit, Jagmohan and Sandeep.
With inputs from PTI