HindustanTimes Sat,20 Sep 2014

Accused stable but still running fever, say docs

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, May 16, 2013
First Published: 00:37 IST(16/5/2013) | Last Updated: 01:44 IST(16/5/2013)

The condition of one of the six December 16 Delhi gang rape accused - Vinay Sharma - who is undergoing treatment at Lok Nayak Hospital is stable.


Sharma is admitted in the medicine ward of the Delhi government-run hospital, where he is being treated for high fever and nausea.

"He was running high grade temperature and complained of nausea when he was brought to us yesterday (on Tuesday). We are conducting tests to determine the cause of fever," said a senior doctor at the hospital, requesting anonymity as the doctor is not authorised to speak to media.

"We have put him on strong medication and he is being monitored closely," the doctor added. Sharma was brought to the hospital's casualty on Tuesday around 5pm, after being referred there from another Delhi government-run Hospital, Deen Dayal Upadhayay (DDU).

He was brought to DDU emergency on May 8 from the Tihar Jail clinic where he was taken after fellow inmates allegedly assaulted him.

Tihar Jail authorities have vehemently denied the allegations.

At DDU, he was admitted into the high-security ward number 10, in the department of medicine, where all patients under heavy security are admitted.

However, doctors at DDU claimed there was nothing serious with him and he was referred to Lok Nayak only for some tests.

"He had very high fever which was not coming down; he needed certain tests to determine the exact cause of fever that were not available in DDU at the moment, which is why we had to refer him to Lok Nayak Hospital. All his routine investigations, such as blood tests and ultrasound were normal," said a doctor at the hospital.

more from Delhi gang-rape verdict

Delhi gang rape: SC stays hanging of 2 convicts

The Supreme Court Saturday stayed the execution of the death sentence of Mukesh and Pawan Gupta, two of the four convicts for the Dec 16, 2012 gang rape, whose death sentences was upheld by the Delhi High Court March 13.
Most Popular
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved