Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Central vista opens after two days

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, December 31, 2012
First Published: 00:54 IST(31/12/2012) | Last Updated: 01:05 IST(31/12/2012)

After remaining out of bounds for two days, all arterial roads leading to India Gate and Raisina Hill were finally opened at 8pm on Sunday.

Advertisement

But on the New Year's eve, Connaught Place will remain out of bounds for commuters as vehicles will not be allowed after 7 pm and Metro stations will also remain closed.

"In view of the security restrictions in the area, entry into and exit from the Rajiv Chowk, Barakhamba Road and Patel Chowk Metro stations will be closed from 7:30 pm on New Year's eve that falls on Monday," said a DMRC spokesperson. Entry for vehicles will also be restricted after 7pm and several police teams have been deployed to prevent any untoward incident. Pubs and restaurants have been asked to shut shop by 12:30 am.

Sale of tickets at the three Metro stations will stop at 7.15 pm and shutters of all entry gates will be closed at 7:30 pm. However, interchange facility between Line-2 (Gurgaon - Jahangirpuri) and Line-3/4 (Dwarka - Noida/Vaishali) will remain operational at Rajiv Chowk Metro station till the end of normal services.

Anticipating protests, traffic police had closed entire central vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all roads leading to India Gate, Rafi Marg, Mansingh Road and Kemal Attaturk Marg on Saturday and Sunday.

“So far there is no plan to close the arterial roads in central Delhi on Monday. But if situation demands we will take a call accordingly," said Satyendra Garg, joint commissioner of police (traffic). On Saturday, 10 Metro stations remained closed. On Sunday at 1.10pm five of them  —  Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk and Patel Chowk — were opened.


Advertisement
more from Delhi gang-rape verdict

Delhi gang rape: SC stays hanging of 2 convicts

The Supreme Court Saturday stayed the execution of the death sentence of Mukesh and Pawan Gupta, two of the four convicts for the Dec 16, 2012 gang rape, whose death sentences was upheld by the Delhi High Court March 13.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved