HindustanTimes Thu,25 Dec 2014

Delhi docs had begun hoping that victim would survive

Rhythma Kaul, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, December 31, 2012
First Published: 01:41 IST(31/12/2012) | Last Updated: 01:54 IST(31/12/2012)

Doctors treating the gangrape victim at Safdarjung hospital had begun to hope that she would pull through, considering the effort that the woman had shown despite her severe injuries.


"Till Saturday — that is, December 22 — it seemed that the girl might after all pull through. She was developing complications but the medicines were working and she was fighting well," said Dr MC Misra, chief of the trauma centre at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, who was assisting the team of doctors at Safdarjung hospital.

The girl was at the hospital for 10 days before she was air-lifted to a Singapore hospital in on Wednesday night.

"At one point, I thought she had a 70:30 chance in favour of her making it," said Dr Misra.

The girl started bleeding internally on Monday, which in medical terms is considered as the last nail in the coffin as it indicates setting in of disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) - a condition in which blood does not clot properly.

"Normally, when you are injured, certain proteins in the blood become activated and travel to the injury site to help stop bleeding. However, in persons with DIC, the mechanism doesn't work well and it's difficult for them to come back. But this girl fought even that and the bleeding was controlled," Dr Misra added.

The girl's condition got worse after she suffered two cardiac arrests and blood and oxygen supply to her brain was snapped for about 3-4 minutes in the wee hours of Wednesday, damaging her brain significantly. 

"That was a watershed in her case that turned the whole survival chance to 10:90 - a bleak 10% in her favour. She developed brain edema, her lungs and other organs got affected and she never really came back after that," said Dr Misra, who also claims that till she was talking, she had expressed a strong desire to live.

"She had told the psychiatrists assessing her that she wanted to get out of the hospital soon, collect her degree and work," he added. 

As moving her out of India had been kept a well-guarded secret till the last minute, the family did not get time to even get clothes from home.

"Police shopped for us — they bought a fresh set of clothes and toiletries for each of us, and also gave us money," said a family member.

more from Delhi gang-rape verdict

Delhi gang rape: SC stays hanging of 2 convicts

The Supreme Court Saturday stayed the execution of the death sentence of Mukesh and Pawan Gupta, two of the four convicts for the Dec 16, 2012 gang rape, whose death sentences was upheld by the Delhi High Court March 13.
Most Popular
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved