China said on Monday it was concerned about casualties in Kashmir and reiterated its position that India and Pakistan should resolve the issue through “dialogue”.
In a statement published on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, China said the Kashmir-issue was a “left-over from history”.
“We (China) are equally concerned about the casualties in the clash, and hope that relevant incident will be handled properly. The Kashmir issue is left over from history. China holds a consistent stance and hopes relevant parties will address the issue peacefully through dialogue,” the statement said.
In an earlier report, published by the official news agency, Xinhua, it said: “China on Monday called for proper settlement of clashes in Indian-controlled Kashmir, which have left more than 40 people dead.”
Foreign ministry spokesperson Lu Kang was quoted as saying: “Chinese side is concerned about the deaths and casualties caused by the incident.”
“Stressing that China's position on the Kashmir issue has been consistent, Lu said the Chinese side hopes relevant parties can resolve the issue through peaceful means,” the statement said.
The Xinhua report said that “clashes between civilians and Indian security forces broke out after the killing of 22-year-old Burhan Wani of the militant group Hizbul Mujahideen in Indian-controlled Kashmir during a police operation on July 8”.
It added: “More than 40 people have been killed and nearly 2,000 others injured so far during the clashes.”
More than 40 people died and around 1500 injured in a spate of violence in Kashmir triggered by the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen militant commander Burhaan Wani on July 8, which sparked protests across the Valley. Normal life has been paralysed in Kashmir due to the curfew and a strike call by separatists.