Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke on the goods and services tax bill in the Lok Sabha on Monday, saying GST is an important step towards freeing the nation from tax terrorism. Here are the top quotes.
* GST is a “great step by Team India, great step towards transformation, great steps towards transparency”.
* GST will also help curtail black money; traders will be compelled to give proper bills. “We speak a lot about corruption but we also need to build a strong anti-corruption system.”
* Consumer is the king, Modi said, and added: “With GST, we intend to bring uniformity in taxes.”
* Our strength lies in small businesses and they will feel more secure with GST, the PM said. “Consumer and small businesses will gain tremendously.”
* States in our country are not self-sufficient, but interdependent, Modi said. He stressed that GST will boost the economy of underdeveloped states help them earn more revenue.
* He said GST will act as a catalyst to help strengthen the trust between Centre and states. Tension between the Centre and states is generally over natural resources or share of funds, the PM added.
* We have always tried to discuss this with everyone, the PM said, adding that question of treating the Lok Sabha as junior house did not arise. “Rashtraneeti (national policy) is bigger than rajneeti (politics).”
* Today, an important move to free the nation from tax terrorism has begun, Modi said. He reached out to the opposition, saying: “This can’t be seen as a victory of a party or government, it is a win for the democratic ethos of India and a victory for everyone.”