Deadline looms for netas to vacate houses

  • Moushumi Das Gupta, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • |
  • Updated: Jul 25, 2014 00:50 IST

Over a dozen former UPA ministers who have failed to vacate their official accommodation may face forcible eviction after July 26, the second deadline given to them by the urban development (UD) ministry to move out of their plush bungalows.

The 14 former ministers who have continued to stay in their official bungalows, despite losing elections include CP Joshi, Subodh Kant Sahay, Kapil Sibal, Ashwani Kumar, Sachin Pilot, TR Baalu, Vyalar Ravi, Ajit Singh, S. Jaipal Reddy among others. 

Besides the former UPA ministers, another 128 former MPs who have also failed to vacate their government accommodation also face forcible eviction.

“The process of sending eviction notices has already started. After a notice is served, occupants are given seven days to vacate the house failing which eviction officers are sent to get the house vacated,” said a senior UD ministry official. 

So far 28 former ministers and 130 former MPs have vacated their official accommodation. 

UD ministry officials said that with a majority of MPs/ministers yet to move out, it has become an uphill task for the government to provide accommodation to new members, many of whom are first timers. They have been forced to stay in state bhavans and government guest houses.

Under the rules, a minister can hold on to his or her official accommodation for a month after demitting office.

 

also read

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar gets death threats in Malaysia from Islamic State

blog comments powered by Disqus