Dec 16 gangrape convict seeks permission to attend SC hearing on his appeal | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 20, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Dec 16 gangrape convict seeks permission to attend SC hearing on his appeal

One of the four death row convicts in the December 16 gangrape and murder case wants to attend hearing on his appeal against the death penalty in the Supreme Court.

india Updated: Aug 05, 2016 20:32 IST
HT Correspondent
A file photo of people staging protest against rape. One of the death row convicts in the December 16 gangrape and murder case has sought permission to attend hearings against his sentence in the Supreme Court,.
A file photo of people staging protest against rape. One of the death row convicts in the December 16 gangrape and murder case has sought permission to attend hearings against his sentence in the Supreme Court,. (PTi)

One of the four death row convicts in the December 16 gangrape and murder case wants to attend hearing on his appeal against his sentence in the Supreme Court.

Akshay, who is at present lodged in Tihar Jail, has written to chief justice of India TS Thakur seeking permission to be present in the courtroom during hearings, his counsel said on Friday.

The letter – copies of which have also been sent to President Pranab Mukherjee and SC judge Justice Dipak Misra -- alleged that the trial court and the Delhi high court did not give him a fair hearing.

Justice Misra is heading the three-judge bench which is hearing his appeal.

The move comes almost three weeks after two other convicts -- Pawan and Vinay -- wrote to the CJI demanding removal of two senior advocates appointed by the SC as amicus curiae in the case. The fourth convict is Mukesh.

Akshay said he wanted to attend hearings in the SC to see how his case was being heard.

He said since the telecast of a BBC documentary on the gangrape incident his entire family had been traumatised and his son had stopped going to school to avoid being harassed.

The documentary showed only the victim’s side of the story due to which his family was feeling humiliated and he feared a mishap in the family, he added.

Alleging that the sessions court and the high court didn’t do justice to the convicts by denying them copies of the judgments and hearings in Hindi, Akshay said he should be heard properly by the top court.

The four convicts have challenged the March 13, 2014 Delhi high court verdict upholding the death sentence awarded to them by the trial court.

A 23-year-old paramedic was brutally assaulted and gangraped by six persons in a moving bus in south Delhi and thrown out of the vehicle with her male friend on the night of December 16, 2012. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.

The prime accused, Ram Singh, was found dead in a cell in Tihar Jail in March 2013.

On August 31, 2013, another accused, a juvenile at the time of the crime, was convicted and sentenced to three years in a reformation home. He was released from observation home in December last year.