Advertisement

HindustanTimes Tue,30 Sep 2014

A job for each flood-hit family in Uttarakhand: CM

HT Correspondent  Dehradun , June 17, 2014
First Published: 15:15 IST(17/6/2014) | Last Updated: 08:57 IST(18/6/2014)

Chief minister Harish Rawat on Monday announced that a member each of the families in the state’s disaster-hit areas would be provided government jobs. Besides, an additional monetary compensation of  Rs. 2 lakh each would be paid to all disaster-hit families in the state.

“The amount (2 lakh) to be paid is in addition to the monetary compensation the people in the disaster-hit areas have already been paid,” said Surendra Kumar, the media in-charge for the CM while addressing a press conference in Dehradun on behalf of Rawat. The CM is undergoing treatment for the cervical spine injuries in a Delhi hospital.

“The CM has also directed that all sections of the proposed secretariat building at Gairsain are named after the block headquarters that suffered the maximum damage during the flash floods that hit the state last year,” Kumar said. “The move won’t just help perpetuate the memories of those who were lost to the flash floods. It will also help us focus on reconstruction of the disaster hit areas,” he quoted the chief minister as saying.

“The government never claimed that the dead bodies of all those who were killed in the last year’s rain tragedy had been retrieved from the disaster-hit areas,” Kumar said replying to a query relating to the skeletons of the flood victims being unearthed from the disaster-hit areas.

He, however, clarified that the last rites of the human skeletons being unearthed from the disaster-hit areas would be duly performed. “Besides, DNA samples would be taken from the human remains so that their relatives could identify their near and dear ones who were lost to the flash floods,” Kumar said.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved