Delhi minor rape accused sent to Delhi, villagers boycott his family

  • Ajay Kumar, Hindustan Times, Muzaffarpur
  • |
  • Updated: Apr 20, 2013 15:55 IST

A 22-year-old man, accused of burtally raping a five-year-old girl in the national capital, was arrested in Muzaffarpur in Bihar on late Friday and was taken to New Delhi on Saturday.

The movement was facilitated after a three-man Delhi police team secured the accused, Manoj Kumar, on three days’
transit remand in order to produce him in a Delhi court.

Manoj becomes the second man to be arrested from a Bihar village in connection with a rape in the national capital.

Earlier, Akshay Thakur, an accused in the gangrape of a 23-year-old paramedical student in Delhi last December, was arrested from his house at Lahankarma village under Tandwa police station of Bihar’s Aurangabad district on December 21.

Manoj was produced in front of Muzaffarpur sub divisional judicial magistrate (SDJM) Shatrughan Prasad Singh, who allowed the transit remand on Saturday.

Late Friday, a joint Delhi-Muzaffarpur police team, led by deputy SP (west), Anoj Kumar, nabbed the accused from Chiknauta village under Karja police station of north Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district.

Muzaffarpur senior superintendent of police Saurabh Kumar said the local police had extended full co-operation to the Delhi team, leading to the arrest of the accused from Chiknauta, where Manoj’s in-laws live.

“The Delhi police have taken him to Delhi after securing him on three days’ transit remand from the court of SDJM (west)”, the SSP told reporters on Saturday.

A police source said the joint police team had quizzed another youth of Chiknauta for several hours, before letting him go.

“He was stated to be a friend of Manoj”, the source told HT.

Villagers at Bharathua, Manoj's native place, held an emergency meeting on Saturday and called for a ‘social boycott’ of the entire family of the arrested Delhi rape case accused.

Manoj’s shocked grandfather, Hari Sah, said Manoj, along with his father, had left the village nearly two decades ago.

“Since then, Manoj and his family seldom visit the village,” said Sah, who lives in Bharathua with his wife.

The accused had married a Chiknauta girl about a year ago, after several months of courtship.

His father-in-law Mahendra Sah said Manoj came on Tuesday evening without any prior notice. “We had no clue what he was up to”, he told reporters.


also read

Manipur: 3 killed, curfew imposed in Churachandpur after mob fury

blog comments powered by Disqus