Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Sep 2014

DU admissions likely to start Tuesday, but questions still remain

Mallica Joshi, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, June 28, 2014
First Published: 12:05 IST(28/6/2014) | Last Updated: 12:31 IST(28/6/2014)

Admissions to Delhi University are likely to finally kick off on Tuesday with colleges expected to come out with the first cut-off list late Monday evening, sources said.

DU vice-chancellor, Dinesh Singh issued a statement on Friday confirming that the university will revert to the three-year undergraduate programme, and start the admission process soon.

Colleges are now finding a way to go back to the old system, a process which shouldn't take long since the background work has been done for the past week.

"We have already redistributed seats according to the 2012 formula. The cut-offs to won't be a big problem as we have been working on them since the UGC wrote to us directly, asking to revert to the three-year system," said Pradyumn Kumar, officiating principal, Hindu College.

Read: DU gives in, scraps FYUP; admissions to begin
 
DU has set up a 12 member committee of college principals to discuss the modalities of admission and monitor the process. The committee will also decide if existing applications are valid or some other method to admit students will have to be employed. 

"The university can finally start admissions, though there are some key issues to address before we do that. This will take a couple of days to figure out," said a principal.

The biggest issue that is facing the university as of now is the reintroduction of the BA and BCom programmes as well as BSc physical sciences and life sciences courses that were scrapped under the FYUP.

The university invited applications for courses under the FYUP scheme. This did not include the previously mentioned courses. The conundrum, therefore, is if the same applications can be used for the three-year course that will be implemented again now.

According to university officials, this could create problems for the university as many who did not apply this year could say that they did not do so because the scrapped courses were not there in the application forms.

Read: FYUP gone but need to overhaul education system, say teachers

"This is a big danger and using those forms could create more problems for the university, which it certainly cannot afford at this time," said a college teacher who has been handling admissions for the past 10 years.

The university cannot call for new applications either as it will take an additional 20 days. The admission was supposed to start on June 24 and has already been drastically delayed. The university has said that it is committed to conducting admissions as soon as possible.

The only solution then, it seems, is to announce cut-offs based on previous years' experience and the school board results and then admit all those who meet the benchmark. The university followed this admission formula as an experiment in 2012.


Advertisement
more from DU vs UGC

After FYUP row, new session set to begin in DU

After the ambitious Four Year Undergraduate programme (FYUP) became history for the Delhi University, the chaos and confusion over the course seems to have settled down as the new academic session is all set to begin on Monday.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved