Delhi University formally scrapped its controversial four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) after a resolution to revert back to the three-year format was passed by the varsity's academic and executive councils.
The development came a day after DU vice-chancellor Dinesh Singh announced that the university had agreed to roll back FYUP as directed by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
Read: DU admissions likely to start Tuesday, but questions still remain
Emergent meetings of the two statutory bodies of the university had been called this morning to pass the resolution for implementation of the three-year undergraduate programme and to follow admission process as conducted under the scheme of courses that were in force in the academic session 2012-13.
The resolution was passed with a majority by both the councils. However, no discussions took place.
Read: 'Need to overhaul education system'
"The academic council (AC) has passed the resolution to implement the three-year under graduate programme without holding any discussion which is very unfortunate," Sanjay Kumar, an AC member who opposed the resolution, said.
Same was the scenario in the executive council (EC) meeting. "… V-C Dinesh Singh tabled resolution and passed it within few minutes," EC member Aditya Narayan Mishra said.
With no discussions taking place, the fate of students enrolled into the B.Tech and bachelor in management sciences (BMS) courses was still unknown, even as a meeting of the newly set up panel of principals asked to devise the modalities for admissions is at present underway.
"A 12-member committee of principals formed by DU V-C will look after the B.Tech issue and it has to take final call on this matter," Mishra said.
Read: DU gives in, scraps FYUP; admissions to begin
Hundreds of B.Tech students staged a protest outside the V-C's office, demanding that their course should not be changed to a three-year programme.
Delhi University had decided on Friday to scrap the FYUP after UGC mounted pressure to roll it back.
The V-C had issued a statement asking principals of various colleges affiliated to the varsity to start admissions for the new session under the three-year format.
The decision has put an end to the uncertainty over the admission process for 2014-15 which was triggered due to the row over FYUP between DU and UGC.
Over 2.7 lakh students have applied for admission to more than 54,000 seats in 64 colleges of the university.
Interest of B.Tech students will be kept in mind: HRD ministry
Allaying apprehensions about the future of B.Tech students, the human resource development ministry on Saturday said their worries would be sorted out by this evening.
Ministry officials assured the B.Tech students on behalf of HRD minister Smriti Irani that their interest would be kept in mind and a statement in this regard would be issued by UGC.
Hundreds of B.Tech students had staged a protest outside the HRD Ministry and submitted a representation demanding that the four-year B.Tech course should not be scrapped.