Advertisement

HindustanTimes Tue,02 Sep 2014

UGC cracks whip, asks DU to start admissions today

HT Correspondents, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, June 25, 2014
First Published: 21:45 IST(25/6/2014) | Last Updated: 13:54 IST(26/6/2014)

Even as the logjam continued, the University Grants Commission (UGC) Wednesday issued a fresh ultimatum to Delhi University to start the admission process and submit a compliance report by Thursday forenoon.

In the letter addressed to the DU registrar, the commission made it clear that admissions should take place for the three-year undergraduate programme and not FYUP.

Read: UGC standoff triggers debate over DU’s autonomy

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/popup/2014/6/26_06_pg4a.jpg

The university too finally ended its silence on the matter, but refused to clarify whether or not it was reverting to a three-year course and starting admissions, leading to more confusion.

DU’s response was to an independent committee and its suggestions.

Read: DU aspirants from other states have nowhere to go

Read: DU's four-year UG scheme row: who failed the students?

“The University of Delhi has received today a document, from some eminent citizens, outlining concrete suggestions for the solution of the current situation as it exists. While welcoming this initiative, the university is examining in detail the document and is working with the expectation that the admission process shall be able to commence soon,” the statement said.

The committee suggested that the university revert to the three-year programme, but can also have a fourth year for an ‘honours with research degree’. It also advised that the B Tech programme be left untouched except for a reduction in the number of foundation courses.

It is noteworthy that the UGC has also set up a committee to break the impasse and to suggest ways to revert to the three-year system. Despite daily reminders from the commission, the university has refused to reply to it. It has, so far, not said anything to the colleges either, but decided to speak up after receiving a plan from the independent committee.

Read: Did DU veer off- course?

The  UGC had  on Tuesday  sent another communication to DU, directing it to immediately issue  letters to colleges for admitting students to the 3-year programme. But on Wednesday there was no response from the varsity

Fifty-seven of the sixty-four city colleges had on Tuesday agreed to go back to the three-year course. But, institutes maintain that they will not be able to start admissions without getting a schedule from the university.

Read: Delhi University-UGC standoff: Teachers go on hunger strike


Advertisement
more from DU vs UGC

After FYUP row, new session set to begin in DU

After the ambitious Four Year Undergraduate programme (FYUP) became history for the Delhi University, the chaos and confusion over the course seems to have settled down as the new academic session is all set to begin on Monday.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved