Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,27 Dec 2014

Ebola scare: 4 Indian docs in Nigeria to return home

IANS  New Delhi, August 14, 2014
First Published: 22:20 IST(14/8/2014) | Last Updated: 02:34 IST(15/8/2014)

The four Indian doctors in Nigeria who wanted to return home citing an alleged Ebola scare would be leaving the West African nation on Friday with the Indian High Commission there facilitating their return, a top official said.

According to ministry of external affairs spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin, the four Indian doctors who are employed with the Indian-run and owned Primus Hospital in Abuja are leaving the Nigerian capital on Friday for home.

He said the Indian High Commission has facilitated the return of their passports, which had been taken away by the authorities.

On Wednesday, during a press briefing, Akbaruddin had clarified that no case of Ebola virus disease had been reported in Abuja, where Primus Hospital is located. He said there were a few cases of the disease in Lagos, which was several hundred miles away.

He had also clarified that it was not a diplomatic matter concerning India and Nigeria, and with the hospital being Indian and the doctors also Indian, the doctors had the choice to leave their jobs.

The four doctors had been in touch with Indian High Commissioner AR Ghanshyam and also met him.

The spokesperson had said that if the doctors felt their health was in jeopardy and wanted to leave that country, the Indian High Commission would try to find out a way to help them.

The Indian mission there has also not issued any advisory for Indians to leave Nigeria due to the outbreak of Ebola virus disease, which is spread by exchange of body fluids and can lead to death.

Around 1,000 people have died so far due to Ebola outbreak that has hit west African countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. Nigeria has also reported some cases.


Advertisement
more from India

Assam attacks: Counter-insurgency ops intensified

India sought cooperation from Bhutan and Myanmar, as its security forces launched a major offensive against a tribal militant group that massacred over 70 people in Assam this week, officials said.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved