A six-year-old boy was charred to death in Faridabad when the makeshift slum cluster he lived in with his family caught fire on Tuesday night.
Police said the fire, which started probably due to the strong winds that swept across the city last night, gutted over a dozen makeshift huts, rendering 17 families homeless.
The incident occurred around 9pm. The boy’s family was preparing dinner in the open when the wind started the fire, which soon spread to other huts too. The minor was inside the jhuggi when it caught fire. Some goats tied near the jhuggi were also charred.
The 17-odd families who live in Vasantpur village under Sarai Kwaja police station in Faridabad are originally from Badaun district in Uttar Pradesh. They are mostly farmers and used to sell vegetables.
Fire tenders rushed to the spot when they were informed about the fire but the jhuggis had turned to ash by that time.