Govt hands over Nagrota attack probe to NIA
The government on Wednesday asked the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to take over the probe into the November 29 suicide attack on an army camp in Nagrota.india Updated: Dec 07, 2016 23:32 IST
The government on Wednesday asked the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to take over the probe into the November 29 suicide attack on an army camp in Nagrota, Jammu and Kashmir.
“In compliance with the instructions issued by the ministry of home affairs, the NIA has re-registered the case under FIR 221/2016 registered at Nagrota police station,” said the agency.
Seven army men and three heavily armed suicide attackers were killed in the attack. The attackers had planned to take women and children as hostage but army men managed to neutralise them.
Sources said the agency was roped in because of its expertise in cases with international ramifications and the Nagrota attack had a clear imprint of Pakistani involvement.
The NIA has registered the case under relevant sections of the anti-terror law Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. A team reached Nagrota to take over recoveries made from the attackers.
“The recoveries made from the attackers will be matched with the items recovered during earlier attacks to see which terror group was involved. Items with Pakistani markings and communication devices had been recovered from the dead attackers,” said an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity.