Govt awaits reply on unauthorised leave by IPS officer who probed Ishrat case | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 27, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Govt awaits reply on unauthorised leave by IPS officer who probed Ishrat case

Senior IPS officer Satish Chandra Verma who once probed the Ishrat Jehan case will now have to reply to the Union home ministry’s show cause notice for unauthorised leave during his posting as the chief vigilance officer of the North Eastern Electrical Power Corporation (NEEPCO) in Shillong.

india Updated: Aug 01, 2016 14:47 IST
Rajesh Ahuja
Ishrat Jahan case

Senior IPS officer Satish Chandra Verma who once probed the Ishrat Jehan case received a show cause notice for an unauthorised leave during his posting as the chief vigilance officer of the NEEPCO in Shillong.(File Photo)

As a tug of war between senior IPS officer Satish Chandra Verma who once probed the Ishrat Jehan case and the government continues to play out, the home ministry is awaiting a reply from the officer to a show cause notice for unauthorised leave during his posting as the chief vigilance officer of the North Eastern Electrical Power Corporation (NEEPCO) in Shillong.

Last month, Verma’s tenure at NEEPCO was abruptly cut short and he was posted to Tripura as an Inspector General of the CRPF. A Gujarat cadre 1986 batch IPS officer, Verma was sent on deputation to Shillong as chief vigilance officer of the NEEPCO after the BJP came to power at the centre in 2014,

Verma had recently moved the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT), urging it to direct the home ministry to provide him all the documents on the basis which he was issued the show cause notice. On Verma’s petition, the CAT had directed the home ministry to furnish all the relevant documents to him.

A home ministry official who did not wish to be named, told HT that the ministry has provided all relevant documents that Verma had sought, and expects a reply from him. He was issued the show cause notice in May.

“I would not like to comment on the issue,” Verma said when HT got in touch with him.

The BJP has maintained that the probe into the Ishrat Jahan encounter case was politically motivated.

As Ishrat case probe officer, Verma had filed an affidavit in the Gujarat high court in 2011 that the 19-year-old Ishrat was killed in a fake encounter in June 2004 along with three men believed to be linked to the Lashkar-e-Taiba.

When the Ishrat case was transferred to the CBI, Verma continued to be associated with the probe team on the directions of the Gujarat high court.