Sarabjit Singh, a resident of Latala village, Titu Bansal, a native of Bowani village and Malkit Singh, who hails Ghaloti village in Ludhiana district were stuck in the conflict-ridden Libya for months.
Following an appeal from their family and the political leaders in Punjab, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj has asked the officials to expedite the search for them. And the three were subsequently traced to 900 km away from capital Tripoli on Wednesday.
It has also emerged that two of them were among the Indian nationals government had evacuated, but returned to Libya in April this year. The government is struggling to deal with citizens returning to conflict-ridden zones like Libya and Iraq.
“The security situation is dangerous in these countries. But we see people, including those who were brought back by the government tending to go back again. That creates a worrisome situation”, said an Indian official.
Those who have returned from these countries however, are lured by better salaries and are willing to bear the risk of going back into these areas.
“I am getting Rs 12,000 now. I used to get Rs 48,000 with free food and lodging. Given a chance, I will love to back to Iraq”, said Sinimol Joseph, an Indian nurse who now works in Bangalore. When asked about the security situation, he says “I understand the security situation is not alright. But what options do people like us have? ”
More than 4,000 people were brought back from Yemen in April last year.
Saudi to send back Indians
External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj on Thursday said the King of Saudi Arabia Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has directed his officers to resolve the issue of stranded Indians in the country within two days. Approval has also been given to companies who wish to employ these Indians.
(With PTI inputs)