Guinness record holder dies during stunt

Adventure enthusiast and Guinness record holder, Soilendra Nath Roy indulging in adventure pursuits from West Bengal died of cardiac arrest while performing a stunt on a steel rope, leaving the amused onlookers stunned. Roy, reportedly died of cardiac arrest while sliding along the metallic rope over the Sevoke Bridge that connects Dooars region with neighbouring Sikkim on national highway No.31A (NH-31A). He was performing this stunt across the mighty River Teesta. Roy (48), working as Home Guard with the West Bengal Police undertook this unique and startling stunt by tying his tuft on the rope.

A Guinness World Record achiever for travelling on a zip wire hanging by his ponytail, died while performing the daredevil act on river Teesta in Darjeeling on Sunday.

Sailendra Nath Roy, 47, a police home guard, was repeating his historic feat when the accident took place much to the horror of thousands of spectators.

Roy had set out to cross the Teesta river from eastern side of Coronation Bridge to the western end.

A GI wire was tied on a tree on the eastern side and on an electric poll on the western side. A bearing was fixed on the wire and his ponytail was fixed from a small rope from the bearing.

He started off successfully amidst cheers from spectators and had crossed a distance of 1150 ft in one and half minutes when he got stuck due to some technical lapse.

With no rescue arrangement in place, Roy failed to move towards the finishing point and died after over four minutes of struggle.

Though locals fought for more than 25 minutes to pull him on the road but by the time he was taken out of the wire, he was already dead.

Doctors at Siliguri district hospital declared him brought dead and postmortem examinations revealed he suffered heart attack. He had achieved the Guinness world record feat on March 1, 2011.

In 2012, he was praised for his act of lifting heavy weights with his moustache at Seoul in South Korea. A resident of Deshbandhupara, Siliguri in Darjeeling, he is survived by three sons.

In an earlier interview to HT, Roy had expressed his desire to showcase India on an international platform.

He had started lifting weights with his hair and moustache in 2001 after watching Discovery Channel. After rigorous training, he first lifted 20 kg weight with his moustache in 2001 and since then there was no looking back.

In 2003, he used a chain tied to his ponytail to pull a laden truck and a bus, traveled 370-meter long distance from one building to another in Siliguri at the height of 75 ft using his ponytail in 2007.

In 2009, he pulled one engine and two bogies of DHR using a chain tied to his hair.


also read

Telangana: Engg student kills self, note says 'due to ragging'

blog comments powered by Disqus