The Nanavati Commission probing the 2002 riots has been granted extension of six months till June 30, 2013, for the 19th time, officials associated with the commission said. The term of the commission comprising retired justices GT Nanavati and Akshay Mehta was previously extended in March this year and was to get over today.
“The state government has extended the term of the commission by six months up to June 30,” the commission secretary CG Patel said.
The riot panel in 2008 had submitted one part of its finding with regard to the Godhra train burning incident, where it had concluded that the burning of S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express near Godhra railway station was a pre-planned conspiracy.
The commission was appointed by the state government in 2002, under the Commission of Inquiry Act and comprised of Justice KG Shah. In May 2002, the state government appointed retired Justice GT Nanavati as chairman of the commission.
Initially the terms of reference (TOR) of the commission was to inquire into facts and course of events that led to burning of the S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express. The TOR was further amended in June 2002 and the commission was also asked to inquire into the incidents of violence that took place after the train burning.