The Jammu and Kashmir government on Saturday said that it has sought from Delhi police details regarding the arrest of 40-year-old Syed Liyaqat Shah, whom they have claimed to be a Hizbul Mujahideen operative.
"The members have raised the issue of (Shah's) arrest in the House. We have taken up the matter with Delhi police. Information which we receive would be shared," J-K Minister of State for Home Sajjad Ahmed Kichloo told reporters.
Liyaqat's arrest was followed be reports that the suspected Hizbul militant was on his way to surrender before Kashmir police when the Delhi Police claimed to have nabbed him.
According to official sources in the state, The return of Liyaqat was known to the authorities, including the local army formation.
"An officer of SP rank with the J-K police cell in Delhi has been deputed to find out from Delhi police (on what basis) they were claiming that he (Shah) had planned to carry out fidayeen attacks in the (national) capital," Kichloo said.
"We don't have any details about his arrest. Whenever we get them, we will share it with the House," Kichloo earlier told the state Assembly on Saturday.
When asked whether Shah had been returning under the rehabilitation policy, he said, "It is being said that he was coming back under the rehabilitation policy. Perhaps the route fixed was different (from what) we had notified under the policy".
Kichloo said he had no information as to whether Shah or his family had made an application under the rehabilitation policy.
The minister denied reports that Shah had been travelling with his family.
The Jammu and Kashmir government had entered into an unwritten understanding with the Union Home Ministry that any youth who had joined militant ranks in 1990s and wishing to return via Nepal would be allowed to do it provided he surrenders before army or police in the Valley.