Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,28 Dec 2014

Jaipur blaze: No FIR against IOC yet

Veer Sain, Hindustan Times  Jaipur, November 01, 2009
First Published: 23:32 IST(1/11/2009) | Last Updated: 01:18 IST(2/11/2009)

Even three days after a huge fire engulfed an Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) depot in Jaipur, killing 10 people and injuring at least 130, the city police have not registered an FIR.

Advertisement

Though initial findings have suggested the fire was caused by a pipe leakage, the company has not come forward with information on the causes.

Six IOC employees died in the blaze.

Former additional director general of police P.N. Rachhoya said the police should register an FIR to conduct suo motu investigations (on its own).

Besides the dead and injured, property, public and private, worth crores of rupees had been lost, Rachhoya said. “It’s a negligent act and the guilty should be brought to book.”

But the police have not questioned IOC officials yet. “We have not registered any FIR as no one approached us,” SP, Jaipur East, Biju George Joseph said.

Inspector General of Police (Jaipur Range I) B.L. Soni said the police were conducting an inquiry and if they found the fire was caused due to negligence, an FIR would be registered. “Otherwise, if there is a complaint by anybody, a case will be registered,” he said.

There is also a large question mark over Rajasthan’s preparedness for disasters. Tanmay Kumar, principal secretary to the state government for disaster management, said several departments had sent details on their role in disaster management, but the complete plan would take some time to be out.

“Meanwhile, we have manuals for dealing with various crises such as drought, flood and earthquake.” But there is no manual for a fire disaster.


Advertisement
more from Jaipur
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved