The Punjab and Haryana high court on Saturday directed the Haryana government to clear its stand on the Prakash Singh committee report that probed the role of government officials during the Jat quota protest in February.
The high court bench of Justice SS Saron sought the government’s stand on the report of the former UP police chief Prakash Singh after Anupam Gupta, who has been appointed by the court to assist it, read out instances of police failure to control the violence for more than 10 days.
Gupta cited instances where police officers fled from protest sites and even colluded with the agitators, who indulged in rioting.
The protesters were demanding job reservation under the other backward classes (OBC) category. They wanted the economically backward category quota to be increased from 10% to 20%.
Dead end on Murthal ‘gangrapes’?
The Haryana government appears to have also hit a deadend into the investigation of the alleged rapes along the national highway at Murthal near Sonepat during the agitation.
The status report was filed in a sealed cover but the court and Gupta appeared dissatisfied. Gupta told the court that the matter needs to be sent to the Central Bureau of Investigation as the government had failed to identify any victim so far.
The Haryana government appears to have admitted that it has not been able to identify any ‘rape victim’. Government counsel Lokesh Sinhal told the court that the special investigation team probed three recent leads but could not identify any victim.