Journalist Rajdeo Ranjan murder accused gets bail
Two of the six accused in the murder case are in jail while two others have been enlarged on bail.india Updated: Feb 08, 2017 12:57 IST
One more murder accused in the journalist Rajdeo Ranjan case was on Monday granted bail after the CBI failed to submit chargesheet within the stipulated 90 days.
The special CBI court of north Bihar at Muzaffarpur granted bail to Javed Bhatt alias Javed Mian in the killing of the Hindustan bureau chief at Siwan. Bhatt is the second accused in the case after Mohammed Kaif alias Bunty was granted bail on January 19.
Two of the six accused in the case are still in jail. The bail petition of Laddan Mian, another accused, lodged in the Gaya central jail, comes up for hearing later in the day.
The bail to Javed Bhatt alias Javed Mian comes as a jolt to the CBI after Kaif was released 20 days back.
CBI judge Anupama Kumari granted bail after the CBI failed to submit the chargesheet. CBI legal councilor was absent during the hearing.
Advocate Sharad Sinha, who appeared on behalf of Bhatt, said: “It shows that they (the CBI) have nothing against us. Ninety days is enough to gather evidence and file chargesheet against any accused. The failure in submission of chargesheet is a clear indication of my client’s innocence in the case,” said Sinha.
Javed and Kaif were among six persons made accused in the murder case of Siwan journalist Rajdeo Ranjan, who was killed on May 13 last year. Ranjan was intercepted by two bike-borne assailants, one of whom fired at him from close range. He died on way to hospital.
The CBI took over the probe on the direction of Supreme Court. Ranjan’s wife, Asha Ranjan, had moved the court. She claimed before the top court that the CBI had not even started its probe in the case due to “political influence” and “fear of Mohammad Shahabuddin, a former RJD MP from Siwan.