Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,17 Apr 2014

Kasab had fired at Ombale, ballistic expert tells court

PTI  Mumbai, August 24, 2009
First Published: 18:53 IST(24/8/2009) | Last Updated: 18:54 IST(24/8/2009)
Rejecting the claim by Mohammad Kasab, the lone surviving perpetrator of the Mumbai terror attack last November, that he had not fired at any police officer, a ballistic expert on Monday told the special court that two of the bullets recovered from the body of a slain police constable matched Kasab's AK-47 rifle.

Advertisement

"The two bullets found lodged in Tukaram Ombale's body tallied with Kasab's rifle," the expert Vasudev Patil told the court.

Patil also told the court that a total of eight bullets recovered from the bodies of eight persons -- both dead and injured in the attack at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), were fired from Kasab's rifle.

Kasab had earlier in July, while admitting to his role in the attacks, told the court that he had not fired a single shot from his rifle at Chowpatty in south Mumbai during the encounter with the police.

Ombale was killed in the encounter.

Kasab had then told the court that his rifle was snatched by the police officials and he was assaulted with lathis even as his partner and slain terrorist Abu Ismail kept firing.

"The ballistic expert's deposition has proved Kasab completely wrong. This shows how he has been lying to the court and how he has been suppressing several facts," special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told PTI.

The expert also said the 64 empty shells found at CST and eight empty shells recovered from Chowpatty also matched Kasab's rifle.

Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved