Kerala sleaze audio case: Mangalam TV channel CEO, 4 others arrested | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 20, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Kerala sleaze audio case: Mangalam TV channel CEO, 4 others arrested

CEO of Mangalam TV channel R Ajit Kumar and media persons SV Pradeep, MB Santhosh, Feroz Muhammed and Jayachandran were arrested by the special investigation team.

india Updated: Apr 05, 2017 01:43 IST
Kerala transport minister AK Saseendran resigned over his alleged involvement in the purported sleaze audio clip case.
Kerala transport minister AK Saseendran resigned over his alleged involvement in the purported sleaze audio clip case.(HT Photo)

The chief executive officer (CEO) and four mediapersons of a private television channel were arrested on Tuesday night in connection with the telecast of a purported sleaze audio clip which led to the resignation of Kerala minister AK Saseendran.

CEO of Mangalam TV channel R Ajit Kumar and media persons SV Pradeep, MB Santhosh, Feroz Muhammed and Jayachandran were arrested by the special investigation team after questioning them for hours.

They would be produced before a court on Wednesday, police said. Four other persons, named in the FIR, were also questioned but were let off, police said.

On Monday, Kerala high court had rejected the anticipatory bail plea of the nine accused.

Woman journalists protest against Mangalam TV in Thiruvanathapuram over the telecast of the audio clip. (PTI)

Last week, police had registered an FIR, under section 120B (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code and 67A of the Information technology Act, against nine persons, including Mangalam’s CEO and managing director Ajit Kumar on a complaint by the youth wing of Nationalist Congress Party for airing “obscene conversation”.

The channel on its opening day on March 26 aired an audio clip of the purported talk of transport minister Saseendran, the NCP representative in the LDF cabinet, with a woman, following which he had resigned the same day.

The TV channel had tendered an apology for airing the contents and admitted that it was a “sting operation” involving one of their women journalists and not a housewife, as it had claimed earlier.