As it happened: Army says terrorist casualties in strike across LoC
The Ministry of external affairs and ministry of defence are addressing a joint press conference amid heightened tensions between India and Pakistan after Uri attack in which 18 Indian soldiers were killed.india Updated: Sep 29, 2016 21:08 IST
India carried out ‘surgical strikes’ on terror launch pads across the Line of Control(LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday night, inflicting “significant casualties” on terrorists and those who are trying to support them.
The announcement of the sudden action by the army was made by the DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh on Thursday, 11 days after the terror strike by Pakistan-based terror outfit JeM on an Indian army camp in Uri in Kashmir over which Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the attackers will not go “unpunished” and that the sacrifice of 18 jawans will not go in vain.
“Based on very credible and specific information which we received yesterday that some terrorist teams had positioned themselves at launch pads along the Line of Control with an aim to carry out infiltration and terrorist strikes in Jammu & Kashmir and in various other metros in our country, the Indian army conducted surgical strikes last night at these launch pads.” Gen Singh told a news conference during which external affairs ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup was also present.
Below are the latest updates:
- All of us stand firmly united against terrorism and those who support and sponsor it, tweets Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi
The Congress Party and I salute the Indian Army and our jawans for acting valiantly to defend our country & our people. Jai Hind. (2/2)— Office of RG (@OfficeOfRG) September 29, 2016
-Indian Army carried out a pre-emptive strike, It was not a military operation but an anti-terror operation: Rajyavardhan Rathore, MoS for Information and Broadcasting
-All-party meeting at MHA ends, Venkaiah Naidu says all parties supported government action
- I am very proud of the Indian Army, the real message has been sent to Pakistan. Well done: Shashi Tharoor
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi said the party “stands with the government in its actions to protect our country’s security and deal with the menace of terrorism from across the border”.
Congress President, Smt. Sonia Gandhi's statement on anti-terror operation by Indian Army pic.twitter.com/Pf3WXH9i9s— INC India (@INCIndia) September 29, 2016
-All-party meeting at MHA to begin shortly
We have seen our DGMO briefing, saw the Pakistani reaction, besides that we have no official information: Sitaram Yechury, CPI pic.twitter.com/BivbNmjfOE— ANI (@ANI_news) September 29, 2016
- LoC trade resumes, 26 trucks from India cross over, while 10 from Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir come in
- American diplomats knew about the strike and called up to stop the whole day yesterday, said sources. PM called for CCS meeting at 7:30 am, continued for 1:30 hours; general consensus was to carry out more strikes, sources added.
- BJP president Amit Shah said surgical strikes signal the rise of a new India where the government doesn’t get cowed down by nefarious designs of terrorists
Today's strikes signal the rise of a new India where the GoI doesn't get cowed down by nefarious designs of terrororists. #ModiPunishesPak— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) September 29, 2016
I again salute the valour of Indian Army for giving befitting reply to those attacking innocent Indians & ensuring zero tolerance on terror.— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) September 29, 2016
It is for the first time, in this frontal fight against terrorism, India under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Modi is feeling secure.— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) September 29, 2016
- Meeting of senior Congress leaders with Sonia Gandhi underway in Delhi, ahead of the all party meeting called by the government , reports ANI
-Top civil and military officers meet in Uri to discuss evacuation plans if Pakistan ends ceasefire and resorts to shelling
This was a pre-emptive and a punitive operation. Launchpad usually has 8-10 terrorists, its our work to eliminate them: Ex DGMO Vinod Bhatia pic.twitter.com/xFTkBNiD8j— ANI (@ANI_news) September 29, 2016
- Border Security Force (BSF) calls off Beating Retreat ceremony at the Wagah border
- High alert has been sounded in Punjab villages along India-Pak border after surgical strikes by Indian Army
These ops are a part of the mandate of the Indian Army to foil any attempts of infiltration into our soil:Venkaiah Naidu on surgical strikes pic.twitter.com/plxR81vkcx— ANI (@ANI_news) September 29, 2016
- Indian Army sources said seven launchpads -- their depth ranging from 1m to 2km -- were targeted after a week of surveillance.
- Indian Army stops cross-LoC trade in Uri citing ceasefire violations by Pakistan in Poonch and Nowgam. Civil administration and police say the trade is on, but army has refuseed to allow trucks across the border
- Government calls an all-party meeting at 4pm after Indian Army conducts surgical strikes
This is a lesson for all terrorists; we have the right of self-defence: BJP's Syed Shahnawaz Hussain on the surgical strikes by Indian Army pic.twitter.com/UaLRKRItxI— ANI (@ANI_news) September 29, 2016
- There has been no surgical strike by India,instead there had been cross border fire initiated and conducted by India which is existential phenomenon. As per rules of engagement same was strongly and befittingly responded by Pakistani troops, says a statement by Pakistan military
- Responding to Thursday’s LoC firing, ANI quoted Pak PM Nawaz Sharif as saying, “We condemn this attack, our desire for peace should not be interpreted as our weakness”
-Nawaz Sharif said we are ready for the safety and defence of our country: ANI
- President, vice president, former PM Manmohan Singh, Jammu and Kashmir governor and chief minister briefed on surgical strikes by the Indian Army
- Sensex crashes 555 points and Nifty slides about 170 points in noon trade after reports of surgical strikes against Pakistan, reports PTI
Below are the highlights of the joint press conference:
- It has been a matter of serious concern that there has been continuing infiltration by terrorists along Loc in Jammu and Kashmir, says DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh.
- We have often recovered GPS, and other stores with PK markings, and some captured terrorists have confessed to their connections.
- Captured terrorists have confessed to their training in Pakistan
- The Indian Armed Forces have been extremely vigilant in the face of continuing threat
- Indian Army conducted surgical strikes on terror launchpads along LoC, there have been significant casualties
- No plan to continue with surgical strikes against terrorist launchpads across LOC as of now
- India shared details of surgical strikes with Pakistan
- It is India’s intention to maintain peace and tranquillity in the region but certainly can’t allow terrorists to operate along LoC
-We expect the Pak army to cooperate with us with a view to erase menace of terrorism.