Prime Minsiter Narendra Modi on Saturday evening inaugurated various ‘Smart City Projects’ under the Smart Cities Mission at a function in Pune.
Modi launched 84 such projects including 14 for Pune, for various other cities across the country, at an investment of around Rs 2,000 crore.
The 20 selected Smart Cities were linked to the Pune venue through videoconferencing wherein their states’ Chief Ministers and other leaders gave details of their plans for the Smart Cities in their states and interacted with the PM.
Modi visited an expo on Smart Cities, inaugurated a contest on ‘Make Your City Smart’ and a Smart Net Portal on the occasion at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex in Balewadi, on the outskirts of Pune.
Here are highlights of Modi’s speech at the event:
- Smart cities are about modern facilities and becoming centres of development
- Our urban spaces have to focus on solid waste management
- Size of roads and buildings is the only way to evaluate a city. Every city has a distinct identity
- Cities have the ability to absorb poor people and that is why people from villages migrate to cities in large numbers
- There was a time when urbanisation was considered as a problem but I think urbanisation must be considered as an opportunity
- There is a positive atmosphere of competing on development work
- People of India are very smart. Once their skills are harnessed then see wonders that will happen
- This smart city project in itself is a mass movement, and this experiment has been successful